Speeding tickets

Go down

Speeding tickets

Post by adamek_ladi on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:14 pm

Hi guys,

I was just traveling from LA to Waltham starting Thursday 1a.m. and getting here at 4p.m. on Sunday, so lot of driving, but fun too and fortunately there were 3 of us, so we kept switching.
However, right in the beginning I got pulled over for going 120+, but the officer was nice and did not throw me into jail, but still hand cuffed me
affraid
I signed some ticket saying that without admitting guilt, I promise to appear at the time and place indicated at the court.
Any ideas how to proceed now? I was thinking to use an excuse of going to the Czech Republic (I am from there and go there for every Christmas) and just try to plead guilty and pay a fine. Because going there would add to my total costs shit load of money - it is somewhere in Cali close to Nevada boarders on the way to Vegas.
I also realized that the ticket is written for Wednesday, but I got caught on Thursday if that could help.
I am supposed to be at the hearing on 12th December 08, for not appearing I can be arrested and punished by 6 months in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.

Looking forward for any advice or solutions how do you solve your tickets issues.
adamek_ladi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speeding tickets

Post by Strut1 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:32 pm

I've run into this problem a good amount of times.
-First I would find the name of the exact town that your ticket is from ?
-Then I would recommend finding a lawyer from that town and have him take care of the whole thing.
-Ask him if you can sign an affidavid so he can appear at the court for you and hopefully get you a parking ticket Smile

Best of Luck

-Matt
Strut1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluehtchbckdrv on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:50 am

If it is the wrong date on the ticket, then you should be able to get off with out a fine or points on the license as the ticket is incorrect.

However, I am pretty sure that you have to ATTEND court to be able to do this. I would also higly recommend getting a lawyer, at least from the state where this occured
bluehtchbckdrv
Admin

View user profile http://ecampus.bentley.edu/studentorgs/bmo

Back to top Go down

Post by adamek_ladi on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:07 am

Cannot the police present the video they record every time they stop someone? (from the car) That would be able to show that I got stopped and as well the time and date...

How much would lawyer cost ? (have no idea) But from what I hear it should payoff no problem, right?

I will also double-check if I have to appear at the court.

Thx a lot !
adamek_ladi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluehtchbckdrv on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:43 pm

I know if the date on the ticket is incorrect, you can all charges dropped.
I haven't been in a situation where the police officer used his onboard camera against me.

My lawyer was expensive.....but he got me off and all i had to do was pay him. He was $100/hr, but as we were there only an hr, it was only $100. Much less then the fines I was looking at....

You deff get ur moneys worth with the lawyer
bluehtchbckdrv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by adamek_ladi on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:08 pm

bluehtchbckdrv wrote:I know if the date on the ticket is incorrect, you can all charges dropped.
I haven't been in a situation where the police officer used his onboard camera against me.

My lawyer was expensive.....but he got me off and all i had to do was pay him. He was $100/hr, but as we were there only an hr, it was only $100. Much less then the fines I was looking at....

You deff get ur moneys worth with the lawyer

Nice!

I will definitely get a lawyer then ...
Actually the date is OK, but on the ticket he circled Wednesday instead of Thursday, so I dunno if that will work as well.
In case I don't have to go there, would you think the lawyer would try to rip me off and charge more than the court took, if I won't be present?
Could you suggest where to start looking for a lawyer? Cause I have completely no idea and I would probably just google "town name lawyer", but dunno how figure out if he is got or bad :-(
adamek_ladi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluehtchbckdrv on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:13 pm

hmm.......technically it is still an error on the ticket. A lawyer might still get it to work.
the lawyer will negotiate a rate with you before you get too indepth with the case, so he shouldnt "screw you."
It will be hard to know what kind of lawyer you get unless you go there. Because I got the ticket at home, it was easy as my lawyer was able to give me the name of one of his friends who specializes in driving related offenses.
Do you have a lawyer here? I got pulled over and ticketed for window tint in NY on my way home last year and our lawyer from IL sent the city an unfriendly letter asking wtf. The fine was reduced to $15 and 0 pts. I would contact a lawyer here (if you dont have one) and ask their opinion. Idk...
bluehtchbckdrv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strut1 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:36 pm

My father is a lawyer in Buffalo, NY. If you tell me the name of the town I could always ask him and see if he knows anyone in the area that could help you out.
Strut1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 93cobra670 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:02 pm

bluehtchbckdrv wrote:If it is the wrong date on the ticket, then you should be able to get off with out a fine or points on the license as the ticket is incorrect.

you are incorrect sir. I got pulled over at an estimated 45mph from 3 car behind on forest street and the cop wrote the wrong address. I took it to court and they reduced it from 150 to 100 bucks (totally worthless considering lost wages and gas).

anyways, my point is that if a stupid little ticket like that still stood, your probably not going to be let off the hook for driving 120mph. My friend was put in jail for 90 days for driving 160 mph in California. On top of that, he lost his license for a year, and is banned from driving in the state of California.

My advice is look into the potential consequences, and weigh out if its worth hiring a lawyer. Were you just charged for speeding? reckless endangerment? etc etc
93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluehtchbckdrv on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:28 pm

93cobra670 wrote:
bluehtchbckdrv wrote:If it is the wrong date on the ticket, then you should be able to get off with out a fine or points on the license as the ticket is incorrect.

you are incorrect sir. I got pulled over at an estimated 45mph from 3 car behind on forest street and the cop wrote the wrong address. I took it to court and they reduced it from 150 to 100 bucks (totally worthless considering lost wages and gas).

anyways, my point is that if a stupid little ticket like that still stood, your probably not going to be let off the hook for driving 120mph. My friend was put in jail for 90 days for driving 160 mph in California. On top of that, he lost his license for a year, and is banned from driving in the state of California.

My advice is look into the potential consequences, and weigh out if its worth hiring a lawyer. Were you just charged for speeding? reckless endangerment? etc etc

Depends on the lawyer Wink
I know people who have gotten off for such a thing.

However the fact that he was speeding at such a significant speed probably means that he is going to get owned by California....
bluehtchbckdrv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by adamek_ladi on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:58 pm

93cobra670 wrote:

90 days in jail? That's freakin scary :-( How come they caught him?

I was charged for "Speeding in excess of 100mph", but it states the approximate speed to 120+
adamek_ladi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by adamek_ladi on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:01 pm

Strut1 wrote:My father is a lawyer in Buffalo, NY. If you tell me the name of the town I could always ask him and see if he knows anyone in the area that could help you out.

I have finally got back and figured out that the court is being held in Barstow, CA 92311.

Could you please let me know, if your dad knows someone from there that would be great !

And other thing that should work for me is the fact that I have a clean driving record, I never was even pulled over before:-)
I am just getting my driving history from the Czech Republic and having it officially translated into English, so I will have it here before the court hearing.
adamek_ladi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluehtchbckdrv on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:25 pm

adamek_ladi wrote:
90 days in jail? That's freakin scary :-( How come they caught him?

I was charged for "Speeding in excess of 100mph", but it states the approximate speed to 120+

If you get caught doing 30mph+ over the limit in IL its considered a felony now......
bluehtchbckdrv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum