Engine Build

Go down

Engine Build

Post by 93cobra670 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:16 pm

Ok, I figured that I'd post up some pics and what not of my engine build. I decided to keep the car, but as of now I either have shot rings or a cracked piston...so its time to do work son.

The plan:
Speedpro forged pistons
Moroso main cap girdle
F303-cam
1.6 roller rockers
porter heads and intake

Day1: Breakdown begins
-cooling system out
-supercharger piping/mass air out
-plenum off
-exhaust out
-battery out
-shifter out
-driveshaft out

Pics coming soon
93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Engine Build

Post by bluehtchbckdrv on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:28 pm

A cracked piston?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Wtf dude lol....

PICS!!! cheers
bluehtchbckdrv
Admin

View user profile http://ecampus.bentley.edu/studentorgs/bmo

Back to top Go down

Post by 93cobra670 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:20 am

93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProfNichols on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Hey, nice pictures.
Did you lose a head gasket or is that just junk from removing the cylinder heads?
Are you running a stock oil pump or a high volume version? That oil pump pickup tube looks bent, or maybe that's how they make 'em.
ProfNichols

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 93cobra670 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:58 am

the only junk from removing the cylinder heads is the coolant in the actual cylinders, and some of the garbage in the lifter valley. I did lose a head gasket last summer and since replaced them with felpro cometics. Awesome gaskets.

What that junk on the pistons is (especially around the edges) is gunk buildup from blowby, oil, and particles from the rings. I had really poor compression (should have made about 14-15#s of boost and only hit 10.45). I'll have my compression restored and will hold boost which is exactly what im after. I'll throw up another pic or two of that

As for the oil pickup, thats stock and I plan on leaving it like that. I just need to thoroughly clean the screen and I should be set.

93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

***Update***

Post by 93cobra670 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:10 am

quick update because i just got home from a lame saturday night haha

block goes in monday to be bored .030 over

ordered some parts this afternoon:
speedpro forged pistons
speedpro competition main bearings
clevite h series rod bearings

next up for parts:
probe main cap girdle (i need that because of the weak 2 bolt mains)
frpp f303 cam (really nice chop and mid to high range power)
frpp 1.6 roller rockers
then gaskets, assembly lube, silicone and other stuff like that needed to assemble the motor

should have her put back together in a few weeks....and definitely will be there for the car show!
93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

***update***

Post by 93cobra670 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:14 am

so I finally have some parts...pistons and bearings came in, and I have the machine shop getting me a full fel-pro gasket set. Theyre also going to get me a ring compressor so I can hammer those pistons home. Looks like friday will be the day to pick up the block and fresh pistons mounted on the rods (need to have the wrist pins pressed). So that means the short block will be ready either friday night (if I have nothing to do haha), or saturday afternoon. I'll also throw the heads on, but need to wait for the cam and rockers to complete the motor. I'm hoping to fire the car up in about a week and a half. Heres some pics just for the heck of it.

93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

latest update

Post by 93cobra670 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:06 pm

so, I got the block back from the machine shop, and i was really pleased. They also pressed the wrist pins for me. I started short block assembly last night and it started well but went downhill. I installed the crank, mains, and 5 of the pistons with ease. Then my dad decided he wanted to help out while I was dropping some dumpage....not good. Turns out he bent the lower oil rings on the remaining 3 Evil or Very Mad Luckily he didnt drive them down past the deck, so there was no cylinder wall damage. All I have to do is order a new set of rings, and just use those 3 rings which pisses me off. Anyways, heres a few pics for everybody

93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine rebuild

Post by ProfNichols on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:30 pm

Hey, it looks pretty nice. I find that the hardest part is knocking the pistons into the bores without messing up the rings and keeping the gaps positioned correctly to minimize blowby. I have fallen in love with a special type of ring compressor tool; it is the best hands down and I was able to knock pistons in my motor all by myself (which is good since I am usually flying solo when I rebuild stuff). The blue band style compressor required me to have someone keep it aligned as I knocked the pistons in and I always caught a ring or two and had to restart the process. If interested, the tool is KD Tools (KD 850)...simple design and easy to use.
ProfNichols

View user profile

Back to top Go down

***Update***

Post by 93cobra670 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:53 pm

so today was one of those icky days where I cleaned some stuff up....primarily the combustion chambers. They were NASTY!! I would love to polish them, but decided to quickly degrease, scrape, sand, steel wool, and sand some more. Overall id say they are back to normal if not better. I also cleaned up the suparcharger oil feed and test fitted. All i need is some silicone plumbers tape to seal the threads up on the piping and i'm set. Also need to pick up some permatex 2b for the head bolts and flywheel bolts. Tomorrow the rings should be in so i'll get the remaining 3 pistons set, install the oil pump (oil pan needs to wait), and bolt the heads down.

Here are some pics of the combustion chambers, they were beat

93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 93cobra670 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:13 am

so I got plenty of parts in today and yesterday, and knocked pretty much all of the assembly out of the way. Today i installed the cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, timing chain and cover, water pump, blower braetck, power steering pump, valve covers, lower intake, distributor, and some other shit haha. I need to pick up some longer valve cover bolts because they barely thread...in fact 3 or 4 dont even reach. I plan on shoe horning the engine in as is, the installing the power ac compressor and blower when its all squared away. I won't be able to get the hoist until saturday, so i'll have time to clean some more stuff up and wait patiently.

Some pics

93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 93cobra670 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:32 am

almost there

93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

almost there

Post by 93cobra670 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:48 pm

I finally got a hold of a hoist yesterday, called up some friends, and dropped the engine and trans in. Everything went in flawlessly. I ended up putting a little bit of work in with all the other crap, but called it quits to go out for the night.

Check list of to do's
-radiator
-exhaust
-driveshaft
-transmission connection/clutch cable
-a few vacuum lines

Hopefully i'll have it fired up tonight

93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

nice

Post by ProfNichols on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:53 pm

motor looks sweet. nice work. hope it fired up okay...
ProfNichols

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 93cobra670 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:26 am

took me 3 tries with the timing, but it runs really well right now. Still breaking it in/working out some small issues. Right now i need to rewire the starter, pressure test the cooling system because its eating a small amount, and paint the new hood and nose. Also needs a tune, im working off the old one and i cant hit boost for now

with the new hood u can really hear the blower....listen up in the vids

on to the pics

93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum