Prof. Nichols checking in....

Go down

Prof. Nichols checking in....

Post by ProfNichols on Mon May 12, 2008 10:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

If you haven't met me yet, please let me introduce myself. I am Professor Steve Nichols. I teach different physics courses here at Bentley and am also the Faculty Advisor for BMO. I have been to a few of the show and shines over the past two years and some of you have very impressive cars. I thought I'd inject some humor...

check out my "whip".

1995 Saturn SL1
260 something thousand miles...
Engine #2 installed about 35k ago and it smokes worse than the first one, meaning I wasted a good part of winter break about two years ago.
The car still sports Pirelli Winter Carving tires (directional...ooh!)...have to change them soon, but they do make the car drift a bit on really curvy on/off ramps, which is fun
33 MPG!!!!!

MODIFICATIONS:
DOOR SPEAKERS FROM WAL-MART
REAR SPEAKERS ("ROAD RAGE") FROM EBAY
CARTOON PUPPY HEADLINER FROM JO-ANN FABRICS, HEADLINER ADHESIVE FROM 3M.

RACING STICKERS ON LF FENDER TO INTIMIDATE THE COMPETITION

Seriously, though, all my time and money go into my 4 cylinder asphalt race car...pretty much everything in or on it, I built, made, painted, fabricated, etc....I have been involved in auto racing since 1991....yikes!

that's all for now..I'm still re-learning all this HTML and image hosting stuff. Enjoy the forum and keep adding those technical discussions, as I love learning new things.
ProfNichols

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Prof. Nichols checking in....

Post by 93cobra670 on Tue May 13, 2008 6:30 pm

I have to say, thats probably the cleanest saturn ive seen in a long time, very well kept!

and what are you running in the mustang? SVO block? I need some details!!!
93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProfNichols on Wed May 14, 2008 7:59 pm

Yeah, it rained the other day and it got all clean again...

My race car has a 2.3 motor that has lots of good stuff in it. I had a local machine shop do all the stuff I can't go (overbore, deck, clean, install cam bearings, etc., hot tank). I bought a kit for the motor and assembled it myself. I know all the necessary bearing clearances and ring gaps, so no problems there. I had the cylinder head shaved a bit to true the surface, so I needed to put on an adjustable cam gear to keep valve timing correct. It has a racing cam in it from Crane cams, that has been bulletproof so far. It has a stock ignition, Optima battery, switchable alternator (I can turn it off/on), aluminum racing radiator I got at a flea market, electric fan (switchable)...holley 350 carb, but I'm still trying to get that working 100%.
ProfNichols

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluehtchbckdrv on Thu May 15, 2008 5:55 pm

I love the headliner professor....
Your race car is certainly coming along nicely. Where do you keep it?
bluehtchbckdrv
Admin

View user profile http://ecampus.bentley.edu/studentorgs/bmo

Back to top Go down

Post by ProfNichols on Wed May 21, 2008 11:48 pm

I keep it at my friend's place since he has a garage, up in Haverhill. It's pretty much a full shop. We have all the tools, welder, torches, air tools, etc, radio, etc...
ProfNichols

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum